Instrumental JazzRegister Online
Open to musicians on all instruments. This track emphasizes improvisation and small-ensemble playing with a program developed to give participants tools to develop their musical vocabulary. It also emphasizes respect for the tradition while developing one’s own creativity. Participants receive well-rounded training that includes:
- Four levels of jazz theory (chords/scales and tools for improv) as well as an advanced rhythm theory class.
- Daily master classes for guitar, piano, bass, drums saxophone, flute, trombone, trumpet.
- Faculty coached combos to put theory into practice.
- Nightly jam sessions that ensure lots of playing time.
- Small class sizes allow for personalized attention.
- Daily listening sessions where faculty highlight the music that shaped their development.
- Final concert with each combo performing a short set.
“The VJC summer program is the highlight of my year and it is always musically uplifting as well as healing on a physical and spiritual level.”
—Summer Workshop 2017 Participant