Sheila Jordan, Jay Clayton co-directors
- Work with two leading artists in the jazz world, including NEA Jazz Master Sheila Jordan
- Learn how to interpret jazz standards in an authentic style
- Transpose lead sheets in theory class
- Work with and learn how to give signals to a professional jazz rhythm section
- Develop their skills in vocal improvisation
Other highlights for participants include a choice of jazz theory classes, jam sessions earmarked for singers, and a final concert where each vocalist will sing with either an ensemble or a professional jazz trio. The vocal program is characterized by the nurturing environment modeled by the instructors and embraced by the participants.
Sheila Jordan and Jay Clayton are true and generous artists and teachers. They create a safe place for emerging and professional vocalists to develop their skill sets, make mistakes and discover their authentic selves. Sheila and Jay have established a warm environment where singers can explore what it means to be a professional jazz vocalist under the guidance of master teachers and a professional rhythm section.